MotoGP Doha: Rookie Jorge Martin Takes Sensational Pole Position in Doha
- The Round 2 of MotoGP 2021, TISSOT Grand Prix of Doha took place at Losail International Circuit in Doha on April 3, 2021.
In Qualifying, rookie Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) took his maiden pole position on the premiere class. His team-mate Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) was 2nd position behind Jorge Martin by +0.157s. Previous race winner Maverick Viñales (Monster Yamaha) took 3rd position.
On the second row, Jack Miller (Ducati Team) will start at fourth, Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) was fifth and Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) was sixth.
Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha) finished 21st, registered his worst-ever premier class qualifying result.
Reigning world champion Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) advanced to Q2 from Q1, but he will start at 9th tomorrow.
Stefan Bradl (Repsol Honda) finished 11th, who marked top result on Honda teams.
Jorge Martin said, “Well, today I think my target was to be in the first three rows. Top nine would have been okay because after a great start last weekend I thought a top nine position would be great. Today I felt quite confident after yesterday with the rhythm of the bike, but today was a bit different because of the wind. So today in FP3 I didn't ride because we didn't want to make any confusion with the setup. FP4 was okay, I felt great, and I thought okay I'm ready for qualifying. Then the first round of qualifying wasn't so bad because I was first. I talked to my crew chief and said I could improve maybe three tenths I think, but not to be on the pole.”
He continued, “On the last lap I was on the limit but I have done really solid work everyday and I improved a lot, so this is why I'm happy and being on pole for my second race in MotoGP is incredible. The last race I learned a lot from other riders and trying to manage the tyre is the point I have to work on and be focused on. I think we did a great job and we are improving in this aspect. But for sure my target is not to win, my target is to learn, to be focused and try to keep the same pace for all the race and not make mistakes.
Hopefully at the middle of the race I can have good tyres to battle for the top six, that would be super good.”
TISSOT Grand Prix of Doha Qualifying Results
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 1'53.106s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.157s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / +0.161s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.197s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.363s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +0.548s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.599s
- Alex Rin / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.639s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.679s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.688s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / +1.118s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +1.990s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / 1'54.228s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 1'54.261s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / 1'54.402s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'54.481s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'54.528s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'54.555s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'54.632s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / 1'54.731s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / 1'54.881s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / 1'55.823s
- source : MotoGP