MotoGP British: Pol Espargaro Takes First Pole Position for Honda at Silverstone
- The Round 12 of MotoGP 2021, Monster Energy British Grand Prix took place at the Silverstone Circuit on August 28, 2021.
Before Qualifying, Maverick Viñales announced that he has left Monster Energy Yamaha team and signed to Aprilia Gresini for 2022. He will not participate rest of the races this year as a Yamaha rider. And Cal Crutchlow runs as a factory rider replace Maverick Viñales.
In Qualifying, Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) took his third pole position this year with 1'58.008s. However he cut the chicane at the Vale section on the final lap, eventually his record was canceled.
Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda) snatched a first MotoGP pole position as a Honda rider due to the canceled pole for Jorge Martin.
It marks Honda's first pole in MotoGP since Aragon 2020, and the first for the Repsol Honda squad since 2019.
Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) and Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) moved up to the front row, each.
Jorge Martin moved down to 4th from incorrectly registered pole position after the chequered flag.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) and Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Gresini) will start at the second row.
Pol Espargaro said, “I was just celebrating like I won the race. For me it's more than that. Okay, tomorrow is the race and where the points are taken, but for me this is a huge step not just this year, but in my whole career. To take a pole position; even a first or second row was a winning weekend. After this tough start where I've been struggling so much, to start from the first place is like a big bubble of oxygen for all of us and especially for me as I was struggling a lot. Sometimes the hard work didn't pay off, but in this moment when you keep working even this can happen. Honestly speaking I don't want to think about tomorrow so much. I've been struggling so much this year, suffering so much that I want to just live in the present right now. Right here having this time with my mechanics, my team; for sure they are working for tomorrow, but I just want to enjoy the moment. Tomorrow is going to be a new day for sure. We are going to put all our effort into the race, but it's time to enjoy it because I haven't been in this situation for a long time and I think we deserve it after the hard work.”
Monster Energy British Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / 1'58.889s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +0.022s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.036s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +0.185s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.197s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.384s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.479s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / +0.642s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.690s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.750s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.874s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +1.088s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'59.553s
- Luca Marini ITA / VR46 Avintia Ducati / 1'59.764s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'59.881s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'59.997s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 2'0.117s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / 2'0.131s
- Cal Crutchlow / Monster Yamaha / 2'0.217s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / 2'0.391s
- Jake Dixon / Petronas Yamaha / 2'0.869s
- source : MotoGP