MotoGP Catalunya: Fabio Quartararo Takes Fifth Consecutive Pole Position at Circuit de Barcelona
- The Round 7 of MotoGP 2021, Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya took place at Circuit de Barcelona in Spain on June 5, 2021.
From this event, fans were available to attend in the circuit, but it was 20% capacity, and a maximum of 3,000 fans in one of the eight designated sections around the track.
In Qualifying, Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) claimed fifth consecutive pole position for the first time since Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) in 2014.
Jack Miller (Ducati Team) advanced to Q2 from Q1 and took 2nd in spite of crash at Turn 3. Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) was 3rd again, following Italian GP.
Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM), Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) and Maverick Viñales (Monster Yamaha) will start on 2nd row.
Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) was dumped from 3rd to 10th in the closing stages after his best lap was cancelled for exceeding track limits.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) picked Jack Miller as leading rider to follow in Q1 in his bid to lift himself into the pole shootout session.
But he was eliminated by his team-mate Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda) by 0.011s and couldn't advance to Q2.
Fabio Quartararo said, “The pace was great; medium and hard. And yeah qualifying was great, I did a great first run. But actually my lap was not that perfect, you know. I thought I could improve a little bit more and on my second run I prepared really well the rear tyre, but I went on the yellow flag in sector three. But the most important thing is that we are in the front row, P1! So happy to see the fans back and I think that it's giving a boost for everyone. Both are working good, but actually right now I don't know which one to choose, the feeling is really similar for me and both lap times are really good. Last year I think almost everyone raced with the softs. Okay, tyres are different compared to last year, but the consistency is much better. I feel like I was riding this morning with 24/25 laps on the tyre and making high 40s. With the medium is good and if tomorrow the warm-up is dry, I will try to make more laps with the hard to see if it works.”
Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya Qualifying Results
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / 1'38.853s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.037s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.196s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +0.246s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.256s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / +0.304s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.365s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.490s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +0.506s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.578s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / +0.752s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +2.938s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1'39.181s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'39.347s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 1'39.532s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / 1'39.567s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'39.59s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'39.744s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / 1'39.942s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 1'40.009s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / 1'40.158s
- source : MotoGP