MotoGP Italian: Fabio Quartararo Takes Fourth Consecutive Pole Position at Mugello
- The Round 6 of MotoGP 2021, Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley took place at Mugello in Italy on May 29, 2021.
Qualifying was delayed following a serious incident in the preceding Moto3 Q2 session, with Swiss rider Jason Dupasquier airlifted to hospital in Florence for further assessment.
MotoGP's FIM Medical Officer Giancarlo di Filippo announced “Rider #50 Jason Dupasquier was involved in a very serious crash in Qualifying 2 of Moto3. The FIM Medical Intervention team arrived immediately at the site of the accident. After that he was transferred in a hemodynamically stable way [stable heart/blood circulation] to the hospital in Florence. For the moment, we know that he's in a very serious condition and we are waiting for further updates by the hospital.”
Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) took fourth consecutive pole position with a lap record of 1m45.187s.
Following Fabio Quartararo, Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) and Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) will start on front row, respectively.
Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Gresini) advanced to Q2 from Q1 and finished a first MotoGP front row on the Aprilia in fourth.
Jack Miller (Ducati Team) took 5th with his 1m45.5982s ahead of Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM),who was 6th comfortably his best qualifying of the year.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) advanced to Q2 from Q1, but he was 11th.
Fabio Quartararo said, “This was probably the best lap I have ever done in my life. This is the type of track where you can really feel the adrenaline. I was on the limit everywhere. In the first sector, I was moving all the time, but I just said 'I'm going to send it'. I really wanted to do the fastest lap today, and it worked. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the onboard lap, because for sure it will look amazing. Today was a good day. I really wanted this pole position, because I know it's important for us for the race. I hope to make a great start and then we will see, because I ride alone this weekend. I made a few overtakes but it's not easy. Most of all with the Suzuki we will not struggle more, but yes, we know with the KTM and Ducati on the straight is difficult. But it's like that and we know that here and Barcelona is not going to be easy, but I will do my best for tomorrow.”
He took the opportunity to dedicate his pole lap to the Swiss rider, “I want to dedicate this pole to Jason Dupasquier, who had a really bad crash earlier today. I hope that he's okay. I'm praying for him and his family.”
Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley Qualifying Results
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / 1'45.187s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +0.230s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.245s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.351s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.411s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.556s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +0.558s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.809s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.889s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.897s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.938s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +1.206s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / 1'46.045s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'46.129s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'46.195s
- Michele Pirro / Pramac Ducati / 1'46.302s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / 1'46.481s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'46.548s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / 1'46.77s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / 1'47.084s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / 1'47.146s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 1'47.216s
- source : MotoGP