MotoGP Qatar: Francesco Bagnaia Takes Maiden Pole Position at Losail International Circuit
- MotoGP 2021 season-opening event, MotoGP Qatar kicked off at Losail International Circuit in Qatar on March 28, 2021.
Unfortunately, Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) withdrew this event due to rehab after surgery of the right humerus. He will also miss the next race MotoGP Doha.
In Qualifying, Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) took his maiden pole position with the lap record. This marks his first ever pole position in the premiere class.
Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) took 2nd position behind Francesco Bagnaia by 0.266s. Maverick Vinales was 3rd position.
Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha), who joined in a new team Petronas Yamaha in 2021, will start 4th on 2nd row.
Jack Miller (Ducati Team) was fifth and Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati), who broke the all-time MotoGP speed record in FP4 when he was clocked at 364.4km/h, finished 6th.
Reigning world champion Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) was only 10th.
Francesco Bagnaia said, “I am very happy with this result as it is the first one and it is the best way to start a new chapter in my career with a new team. Yesterday I was feeling that it was possible to arrive in the 1m 52s because in my best lap of yesterday I made some mistakes and I was thinking about it, so we can be happy about the result.
Tomorrow is the race and I think we are a great group fighting for the top positions.
Yamaha is very strong in sector two and three, but we can close the gap in sector four with our top speed. The balance is very close so the race tomorrow will be a nice battle for sure.
I hope not but it is a possibility. If we look at the pace, the Yamaha, Suzuki and Ducati are fighting at the same pace for the victory and looking at the FP4 all the other riders were so strong.
I made some mistakes on the FP4 and I didn't feel well with the rear tyre that was from yesterday, and with the hotter temperature I suffered a bit.
Tomorrow will not be in the 1m 53s, it will be higher and we need to be more constant with the tyres, so let's wait until tomorrow but I think eight or nine riders in the first laps can stay in front.”
Barwa Grand Prix of Qatar Qualifying Results
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / 1'52.772s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.266s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +0.316s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / +0.342s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.443s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.514s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.541s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.543s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.718s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.910s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +0.949s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +1.158s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'53.733s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 1'53.84s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / 1'53.915s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 1'53.958s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / 1'53.995s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / 1'54.122s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'54.24s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'54.443s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / 1'54.627s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / 1'55.183s
- source : MotoGP