MotoGP Emilia Romagna: Maverick Vinales Takes Win After Late Crash for Francesco Bagnaia
- Maverick Vinales (Monster Yamaha) took his first victory of the 2020 MotoGP season after a late crash for Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Racing) at Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.
Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) was 2nd again, following San Marino GP. 3rd place was Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM), who got podium after Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) was hit with a long-lap penalty on the final lap for exceeding track limits too many times. Fabio Quartararo did not take the penalty loop and was hit with a three-second time penalty at the chequered flag, dropping him to fourth.
Maverick Vinales got a good start and led the race. Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati), Francesco Bagnaia, Pol Espargaro and Fabio Quartararo followed him, but Jack Miller was rapidly shedding tempo and had finally drop out after struggling an engine concern on Lap 8.
Francesco Bagnaiat overtook Maverick Vinales on lap six at Turn 4 when Maverick Vinales ran wide. Then Francesco Bagnaiat led the race until lap 21, but crashed out at the Turn 6. His first win of MotoGP has gone.
Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha) made an uncharacteristic mistake to crash out on lap two at Turn 4 and would eventually pull out.
San Marino winner Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) recovered from early contact after Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Gresini) crashed, and finished 9th.
Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) holds a slender one point lead over Fabio Quartararo in the standings after finishing down in eighth.
“Amazing job this weekend, we prepared really good,” Maverick Vinales said. “Pecco (Bagnaia) was very fast, I was pushing a lot and trying to save a bit of tire for the last 10 laps. After he made a mistake, I tried not to crash and take the maximum points. It feels fantastic, I'm very happy. Because my mentality ha been completely the same, we just found a better setup. I appreciate all the work, because there had been tough times in my team, but we kept pushing and found better luck, and we have to continue like that, because we have a lot more potential.”
Gran Premio TISSOT dell'Emilia Romagna e della Riviera di Rimini Grand Prix Race Results
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / 41m 55.846s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +2.425s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +4.528s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +6.419s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +7.368s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +11.139s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / +11.929s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +13.113s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +15.880s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / +17.682s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / +23.144s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +24.962s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Gresini / +30.008s
- source : MotoGP