MotoGP Indonesian GP: Jorge Martin Wins Sprint Race, Luca Marini Takes Pole Position in Indonesia
The Round 15 of MotoGP 2023, Pertamina Grand Prix of Indonesia took place at Pertamina Mandalika International Circuit in Central Lombok on October 14, 2023.
Before the event, Marc Márquez (Repsol Honda) announced that he will switch from Honda to Gresini Ducati Racing in 2024.
In Qualifying, Luca Marini (Mooney VR46 Ducati) took his first pole position with lap record 1'29.978s.
Following him, Aprilia pair Maverick Viñales (Aprilia Racing) and Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) will start on the front row.
Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) was 4th and Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM) was 5th.
Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) crashed just four minutes in the session at Turn 16, but he finished 6th.
Fabio Di Giannantonio (Gresini Ducati) was 7th and Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was 8th.
Marco Bezzecchi finished 9th despite undergoing surgery after breaking his collarbone in a training crash last weekend.
Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo) couldn't advance to Q2 from Q1 and finished 13th, which is his worst starting position since Portugal last year when he crashed in Q1.
Luca Marini said, “It's amazing. It's a period where I'm feeling so comfortable with the bike, I'm so strong and fast. We had some problems in practice yesterday, but we understood what those problems are in the evening and we fixed it. This morning the bike was very good, I had a good feeling with the tyres. I'm really satisfied with the work we have done in these two days. I think the sprint and Sunday's race will be really tough. I expect Aprilia to be stronger than us but I will do my best and give 100% and let's see what we can achieve.”
In the Sprint Race, Jorge Martin claimed his fourth straight sprint race victory and now leads the championship by seven points over Francesco Bagnaia, who finished 8th.
Poleman Luca Marini was 2nd and took his second podium of 2023. His team-mate Marco Bezzecchi fnished 3rd ahead of Maverick Viñales for 4th
Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) was 5th, and Fabio Di Giannantonio was 6th. Enea Bastianini (Ducati Lenovo), who returned from injury this time, finished 7th.
Jack Miller (Red Bull KTM) and Miguel Oliveira (RNF Aprilia) rounded out the top 10.
Jorge Martin said, “Happy today! Was a difficult race because starting in sixth was not the best position. But I was able to overtake a lot of riders on a track that is normally difficult. Hopefully tomorrow we can repeat it. I wasn't in the best position for sure. Going into the first corner I was on the dirty side and I couldn't overtake. I was just maintaining the place. Then, step-by-step I was overtaking riders and felt really good. I thought I wouldn't be able to overtake Brad before the race, but suddenly I overtook all of them even if I was managing the rear tyre. It was difficult to make it to the end because the soft [tyre] was really soft. I'm proud of the work. Feels good. It feels amazing and feels like a dream, but every race will be the same - I need to attack, I need to enjoy the moment and everything that comes is good. The pressure, I feel, is on Pecco. I will keep the same mentality.”
Pertamina Grand Prix of Indonesia Qualifying Results
- Luca Marini / Mooney VR46 Ducati / 1'29.978s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Racing / +0.031s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Racing / +0.154s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.538s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.720s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +0.764s
- Fabio Di Giannantonio / Gresini Ducati / +0.788s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.886s
- Marco Bezzecchi / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +0.930s
- Jack Miller / Red Bull KTM / +0.992s
- Enea Bastianini / Ducati Lenovo / +1.083s
- Miguel Oliveira / RNF Aprilia / +1.215s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Lenovo / 1'30.626s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / 1'30.713s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / 1'30.729s
- Pol Espargaro / Tech3 GASGAS / 1'31.006s
- Raul Fernandez / RNF Aprilia / 1'31.031s
- Augusto Fernandez / Tech3 GASGAS / 1'31.034s
- Joan Mir / Repsol Honda / 1'31.143s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'31.192s
- Alex Rins / LCR Honda / 1'31.458s
Pertamina Grand Prix of Indonesia Sprint Race Results
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 19m 49.711s
- Luca Marini / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +1.131s
- Marco Bezzecchi / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +2.081s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Racing / +2.720s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +3.121s
- Fabio Di Giannantonio / Gresini Ducati / +4.203s
- Enea Bastianini / Ducati Lenovo / +4.981s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Lenovo / +5.465s
- Jack Miller / Red Bull KTM / +7.852s
- Miguel Oliveira / RNF Aprilia / +8.942s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +12.034s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +14.015s
- Augusto Fernandez / Tech3 GASGAS / +14.823s
- Raul Fernandez / RNF Aprilia / +15.699s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +23.331s
- Joan Mir / Repsol Honda / +24.894s
- Pol Espargaro / Tech3 GASGAS / +27.169s
- Alex Rins / LCR Honda / +28.980s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +43.090s
Photo by MotoGP
- source : MotoGP