- MotoGP Austria: Jorge Lorenzo Wins at Red Bull Ring, Defeats Marc Marquez in Late Battle
- The Round 11 on MotoGP 2018, the eyetime Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich took the place at the Red Bull Ring in Austria on August 12, 2018.
Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) claimed his third victory of the season by defeating Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) in last lap battle.
Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) finished 1.5s behind in third.
Beginning of the race, pole sitter Marc Marquez, Ducatis duo Jorge Lorenzo and Andrea Dovizioso led other riders.
Marc Marquez passed Jorge Lorenzo and moved up to top on lap 2. Following him, Jorge Lorenzo in 2nd and Andrea Dovizioso in 3rd.
Three riders fought top until lap 18, but Andrea Dovizioso ran wide at Turn 3 on 10 laps to go, and the top battle was narrowed down to two riders, Marc Marquez and Jorge Lorenzo.
On 8 laps go, Jorge Lorenzo moved up to top, but Marc Marquez fought back to top when Lorenzo ran wide at Turn 3 on 3 laps to go.
Jorge Lorenzo passed Marc Marquez again on last lap and took his victory.
Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) spent the entire race as best of the rest, with Danilo Petrucci (Pramac Ducati) completing the top five.
Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) completed a solid recovery from 14th on the grid on the lead Yamaha and finished sixth.
This result marks Jorge Lorenzo is third in the standings, while Marquez's points lead is up to 59 points over Rossi.
Austria GP winner, Jorge Lorenzo said;
“I was stronger in some areas of the track, especially in the uphill [on the main straight] in fifth gear, but he was very strong in the second corner [Turn 3] in this braking so he always overtook me.
But in the last lap he didn't expect myself by the outside, on the acceleration, so was a little bit [of a] surprise for him.
And then when I overtook him, I pushed on the limit, risking so much on the braking, but I did it and I finished this unbelievable victory, one of my best in MotoGP.”
I didn't expect Marc so quick at the beginning, he really wanted to push to open the gap, so I needed to push but at the same time save a little bit the tyres and the benzene [fuel].
And then 10 laps to the end I decided to attack, but Marc was there, was always there, and I knew he wanted to try.”
Runner-up Marc Marquez said;
“I start from the beginning [to] push hard because I had the rear hard tyre, to open a gap – in one moment I thought I was able.
But then they [the Ducatis] start to catch me because like I expected, when the tyre drops, the difference is on the straight.
And on the straight you can see [it]. I was trying to defend my position but he [Lorenzo] was able to overtake me on the straight.
This race I enjoyed. Second position but I gave everything. I tried [to win], was not possible but we increased the advantage in the championship, [I'm] very happy.”
Red Bull Ring Grand Prix Race Results
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 39m 40.688s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 39m 40.818s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 39m 42.344s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 39m 50.122s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 39m 53.857s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 39m 54.714s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 39m 54.844s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 39m 57.332s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha / 40m 1.448s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 40m 1.532s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 40m 1.802s
- Maverick Viñales / Movistar Yamaha / 40m 3.627s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 40m 7.211s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 40m 9.856s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 40m 10.760s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 40m 11.031s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 40m 12.463s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 40m 15.063s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 40m 20.859s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 40m 33.708s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 40m 33.949s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 40m 35.043s
- source : MotoGP