- MotoGP Spain: Marc Marquez Wins at Jerez as Dovi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa Clash
- Spanish Grand Prix witnessed Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) dominated the race at Jerez, as team-mate Dani Pedrosa and the Ducati works duo of Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo came together in a huge crash. Marc Marquez claimed his second victory of 2018 following Austin GP.
Pole sitter, Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) crashed at the Turn 11 and went away the race earlier.
Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo were battling for second place at the Turn 6 right-hand hairpin.
When Andrea Dovizioso passed Jorge Lorenzo, it seemed complete. But Lorenzo cut back to the inside to retake the position, then he moved to the right, he clashed with the Honda of Pedrosa.
The contact threw Pedrosa high into the air off his bike and sent Lorenzo's GP18 into the path of Dovizioso, with all three retiring on the spot.
After three riders crashed, Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech3) kept the second place until the race finished.
Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar) took his second podium of 2018 following Texas.
Marc Marquez said;
"I was clever in the beginning to overtake the riders, because [it] was so difficult, and then I realised that was nearly impossible to overtake [Jorge] Lorenzo. He was braking so late, exiting so well from the corners, but then I was a little bit passionate, and then when I saw his tyres start to drop, I say 'okay, now it's time to lead the race and open a gap'.
I don't know how I was [still] on the bike. We arrive there around 220, 240 [km/h] more or less, and when I saw many stones on the track, was too late.
And then both wheels slide, but I was able to stay on the bike."
Gran Premio Red Bull de España Race Results
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 41m 39.678s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 41m 44.919s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 41m 47.892s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 41m 48.295s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 41m 48.421s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 41m 49.446s
- Maverick Viñales / Movistar Yamaha / 41m 53.221s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 41m 53.754s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 41m 56.500s
- Mika Kallio / Red Bull KTM Factory / 41m 59.083s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 42m 0.827s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 42m 0.852s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 42m 1.443s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 42m 1.781s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 42m 16.433s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 42m 21.539s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 42m 28.919s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / +1 lap
All photos copyright by MotoGP.
- source : MotoGP