- MotoGP Austin: Maverick Vinales takes pole position, Marc Marquez fourth after Vinales block
- The Round 3 on MotoGP 2018, Red Bull Austin Grand Prix Qualifying took place at circuit of the Americas on April 21, 2018.
When Qualifying finished, Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) took pole position with 2m 3.658s, as well as Maverick Vinales (Movistar Yamaha) was 2nd and Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar) was 3rd position.
But Marc Marquez was placed under investigation for blocking Maverick Vinales at the tight left-hand Turn 15 while Vinales tried to take pole on a last lap again.
Finally, the FIM MotoGP™ Stewards decided to give a penalty to Marc Marquez, who will start the race from fourth. While Marquez's 46th premier class pole will stand in the record books.
Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech3) moved up to 3rd position.
Argentina GP winner Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) finished 7th and Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda), who had surgery his wrist after Argentina GP, took 9th place.
FIM MotoGP Stewards Panel Notification of Sanction said;
"At Turn 15 you were found to be riding in an irresponsible manner being slow on the racing line and disturbing another rider. This contravenes Article 1.21.2 of the FIM World Championship Grand Prix Regulations 'Riders must ride in a responsible manner which does not cause danger to other competitors or participants, either on the track or in the pit lane.' For the above reasons, being the first offense and taking into account the degree of seriousness of the offence, the MotoGP Stewards Panel has decided to impose on you a Grid Penalty of 3 positions."
Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas Qualifying Results
- Maverick Vinales / Movistar Yamaha / 2m 4.064s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 2m 4.209s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 2m 4.210s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 2m 3.658s (penalty)
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 2m 4.229s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 2m 4.294s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 2m 4.456s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 2m 4.865s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 2m 4.963s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 2m 5.058s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 2m 5.260s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 2m 5.829s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 2m 05.457s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 2m 05.686s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 2m 05.761s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 2m 05.873s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 2m 05.943s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 2m 05.966s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 2m 06.035s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 2m 06.222s
- Alvaro Bautist / Angel Nieto Team / 2m 06.296s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 2m 06.370s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 2m 06.537s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 2m 06.726s
All photos copyright by MotoGP.
- source : MotoGP