MotoGP Spanish: Jack Miller Wins in Jerez after Fabio Quartararo Injury
- Red Bull Spanish Grand Prix watched Jack Miller (Ducati Team) took his first victory at Jerez in five years since the 2016 Dutch TT after long-time leader Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) hit trouble. Also, this is his first MotoGP win as a factory Ducati rider.
Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) finished 2nd, following previous Portugal GP. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) took his first podium of 2021.
Fabio Quartararo led the race until lap 15, but struggled his arm issue. Then gave the lead to Jack Miller on lap 16 and finished 13th. This result marks Francesco Bagnaia leads the MotoGP standings by two points from Fabio Quartararo.
Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) finished 4th, who marks the best result of Honda, ahead of world champion Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) and Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Gresini).
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was 9th in the second race of his comeback.
Jack Miller said, “Not so much seeing 'pray' sort of speak. I just threw out the hook because I saw what he did last year and was thinking Fabio's going to demolish us all. So I thought I'd throw out the hook, get toed around for a few laps and have a decent enough gap to just wobble around for the last few laps and hopefully get a podium or something. As I was doing that we probably had around six laps going for it and I saw he got out to that gap but it wasn't going any more. If anything I was starting to catch him back. Then in two laps I caught back a massive chunk and thought 'I had to pass him' because he's dropping. Honestly, I entered turn one in like disbelief - turn two was starting to cry - turn five was like 'Yeah'! I was screaming and then it was just up and down ever since.”
He continued, “I guess it's just when you try something your whole life pretty much, and then it finally happens, the one thing you think about is let's say 90% of the time the training you put in, and when you go to bed you dream about this moment. When you can finally achieve it you just go through that rollercoaster of emotions. I could not hold it back. I was trying to fight it, but (the win) meant a lot today.”
Gran Premio Red Bull de España Race Results
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / 41m 5.602s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +1.912s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +2.516s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +3.206s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +4.256s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +5.164s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / +5.651s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +7.161s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +10.494s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +11.776s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +14.766s
- Stefan Bradl / HRC / +17.243s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +18.907s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / +20.095s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / +20.277s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / +20.922s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / +22.731s
- Tito Rabat / Pramac Ducati / +30.314s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / +37.912s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +38.234s
- source : MotoGP