MotoGP Italian: Danilo Petrucci Takes Maiden MotoGP Victory at Mugello
- Danilo Petrucci (Mission Winnow Ducati) took his maiden MotoGP victory on home soil at Mugello in Italian Grand Prix.
This marks the first win on his 125th start in the premier class for 28-year-old rider, who replaced Jorge Lorenzo at the factory Ducati team for 2019.
The 2nd place was Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda), who was behind Danilo Petrucci by 0.043 seconds. Andrea Dovizioso (Mission Winnow Ducati) finished the 3rd place.
Danilo Petrucci led much of the second half of the race after he moved up to top at the start of the 11th lap of 23.
Following him, Marc Marquez, Andrea Dovizioso, Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati) and Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) made a top group. But Jack Miller crashed out on 15th lap.
On the final lap, Marc Marquez passed two Ducati riders, but Danilo Petrucci retook the lead, with Marc Marquez now second ahead of Andrea Dovizioso, and Marc Marquez was unable to get close enough to attempt a pass.
Alex Rins finished 4th, Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) was 5th, which was his best MotoGP finish.
9-time World Champion and local hero, Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha) crashed out on the 7th lap.
Danilo Petrucci said, "It's amazing, I'm thrilled. On front of my home crowd and in my town, it's incredible, I can't describe how I feel. I've achieved my aim for this year which was to win a race, now we have to win the championship with Ducati."
Marc Marquez said, "When I saw at the start that I couldn't pull clear I said to myself 'today isn't the day'. I decided to ride defensively and I'm happy with the 20 points."
Andrea Dovizioso said, "It was really hot and I wanted to be ahead in the final lap but Dani overtook us. The grip was not enough to try something desperate and Rins almost passed me. In the championship we lose some points but I'm really happy for Petrucci because Mugello is the best race for us to win."
Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley Race Results
- Danilo Petrucci / Mission Winnow Ducati / 41m 33.794s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 41m 33.837s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Mission Winnow Ducati / 41m 34.132s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 41m 34.329s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 41m 40.329s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / 41m 41.275s
- Michele Pirro / Mission Winnow Ducat / 41m 47.082s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 41m 47.731s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 41m 50.327s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha SRT / 41m 51.788s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 41m 54.317s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / 41m 54.338s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Repsol Honda / 41m 54.607s
- Karel Abraham / Reale Avintia Ducati / 42m 1.092s
- Andrea Iannone / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 42m 1.845s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 42m 3.895s
- Johann Zarco / Red Bull KTM Factory / 42m 15.651s
- source : MotoGP