MotoGP Jerez: Fabio Quartararo Takes Pole Position in Petronas Yamaha One-Two
- The Round 4 on MotoGP 2019, European round kicked off at Circuito de Jerez on May 4, 2019.
MotoGP rookie Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) claimed a shock maiden premier-class pole position in Qualifying. His team-mate Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) took the 2nd position behind him by 1m 36.962s. The reigning Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was 3rd.
This result marks Fabio Quartararo became the youngest ever MotoGP™ pole sitter at 20 years, 14 days. Also, Petronas Yamaha SRT team took the front row starting position for the first time at premiere-class.
9-time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha) struggled to get speed in FP 4. He was unable to respond in Q1 and avoid an early qualifying exit.
Fabio Quartararo said, “I never expect that I can make pole position today so it’s really amazing to be on pole. My first in MotoGP. All the team have worked a lot throughout the weekend, and I want to thank them for making this possible… For me the team is unbelievable. It’s a brand-new team but inside we have a lot of experience. Last year was tough in the beginning but they believed in me for MotoGP™ so yes, it’s an incredible feeling for them and for me.”
Franco Morbidelli said, “Great, a great day for us. We were fast throughout the whole day, we improved a lot compared to yesterday. I think also the conditions improved a lot so we depended a lot by that but anyway it’s a great result for the team. They’re new but we’re already getting these great results. So I’m just happy for everybody inside the team, they deserve this. 1-2 I think is unbelievable, this shows how well they worked during this winter, during last year preparing everything, and during this season, so they just deserve this the team is full of great people.”
Gran Premio Red Bull de España Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha SRT / 1m 36.880s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha SRT / 1m 36.962s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1m 36.970s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Mission Winnow Ducati / 1m 37.018s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / 1m 37.114s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1m 37.175s
- Danilo Petrucci / Mission Winnow Ducati / 1m 37.209s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1m 37.332s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 37.351s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / 1m 37.384s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Repsol Honda / 1m 37.496s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 37.514s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / 1m 37.371s
- Stefan Bradl / HRC / 1m 37.406s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1m 37.605s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 37.625s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 37.798s
- Johann Zarco / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 37.820s
- Bradley Smith / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 38.357s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia Ducati / 1m 38.403s
- Karel Abraham / Reale Avintia Ducati / 1m 38.447s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1m 38.894s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1m 40.042s
- Andrea Iannone / Factory Aprilia Gresini / No Time
- source : MotoGP