MotoGP Qatar: Maverick Vinales Takes Pole Position, Jorge Lorenzo & Valentino Rossi Out in Q1
- The Round 1 on MotoGP 2019, VisitQatar Grand Prix ran Qualifying at Losail International Circuit on March 9, 2019.
Maverick Vinales (Monster Yamaha) scored pole position for the opening grand prix of the 2019 MotoGP season in Qatar.
This marks his seventh MotoGP pole and his second in three years in Qatar.
2nd position was Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), the reigning World Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) took 3rd position.
Maverick Vinales's team-mate Valentino Rossi dropped out in Q1, and a new Honda rider Jorge Lorenzo (Repsol Honda) crashed and could not advanced to Q2.
Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati) took 4th position in the second row, a rookie Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) was 5th.
Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) and Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda), both riders advanced to Q2 from Q1 and took 6th and 9th position, respectively.
“We’ve made some good steps forward with the bike. We still need to keep working because still, we have to improve the last corner, the exit of the last corner,” explained Maverick Vinales after qualifying. “So, if tomorrow we can improve the exit of the last corner we’re going to be ready to fight in the race,” continued the Qatar GP pole sitter. “We need to keep working, head down and keep pushing. Yamaha understands my feelings much, much better than last year and I think we are building up a bike to fight and that’s the most important thing. I think they understand the way to go and that for me is very important because I feel confident inside the team.”
VisitQatar Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / 1m 53.546s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1m 53.744s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1m 53.745s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1m 53.809s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha SRT / 1m 53.946s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1m 54.095s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / 1m 54.200s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha SRT / 1m 54.236s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1m 54.239s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 54.257s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 54.390s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 54.917s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / 1m 54.472s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / 1m 54.537s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Repsol Honda / 1m 54.563s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 54.740s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1m 55.122s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1m 55.428s
- Andrea Iannone / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 55.464s
- Karel Abraham / Reale Avintia / 1m 55.642s
- Johann Zarco / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 55.797s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1m 55.937s
- Bradley Smith / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 56.036s
- source : MotoGP