MotoGP British: Ducati one-two, Jorge Lorenzo Takes Pole Postion at Silverstone Circuit
- The Round 12 on MotoGP 2018, GoPro British Grand ran Qualifying at Silverstone Circuit on August 25, 2018.
Qualifying started around 25 minutes delayed due to heavy rain and an incident. Before Qualifying, Tito Rabat (Avintia Ducati) was taken to the hospital with helicopter after he crashed out in FP4.
Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) took his second pole position of the 2018 season in a rain-affected at Silverstone.
His team-mate Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) was 2nd position by 0.159 seconds behind Lorenzo, Ducati one-two finished.
Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech3) took 3rd place of his first front row of the 2018 season.
Local hero, Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) will start at 4th place on the 2nd row on Sunday.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was fifth, ahead of Danilo Petrucci (Pramac Ducati) and Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar).
Movistar Yamaha team, Maverick Vinales and Valentino Rossi were 11th and 12th respectively.
Tito Rabat Surgery at the University Hospital of Coventry has been successful. The fractures of right femur, tibia and fibula have been fixed. He will stay at the UCI hospital until tomorrow.
ATTENTION: due to weather concerns, the MotoGP™ race will get underway at 11:30 local time (GMT +1), with Moto3™ at 13:00 and Moto2™ at 14:30.
Jorge Lorenzo said;
“I don’t think there was a lot of water or rain, even in sector two, but it really looks like a sea when you arrive there in fourth or fifth gear [at Stowe corner], there was so much water there. It looks like there is a problem with the drainage.
I don’t think there was much water coming down compared to others but it was not right, the tarmac didn’t dry in a normal way, it was impossible to stop the bike in heavy rain. It will be impossible for riders to stop in heavy rain so it will be very dangerous.
It is an important issue to talk about because it looks like with the new asphalt – in the past we raced in the rain and it was not such a big problem – but this situation is quite difficult because it is at points on the track where we arrive with more speed but there is not so much gravel or space in case of crashes.
We arrive at certain areas very fast with a lot of people. In heavy rain I believe there will be some problems as the water doesn’t come out of the track. In case of rain I agree not to compete or to wait to find a solution.”
GoPro British Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 2m 10.155s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 2m 10.314s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 2m 10.439s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 2m 10.615s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 2m 11.083s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 2m 11.317s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 2m 11.495s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 2m 11.514s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 2m 12.173s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 2m 12.504s +2.349s
- Maverick Vinales / Movistar Yamaha / 2m 12.514s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 2m 13.504s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 2m 13.945s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 2m 14.171s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 2m 14.198s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 2m 14.866s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 2m 15.141s
- Loris Baz / Red Bull KTM Factory / 2m 15.299s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 2m 15.377s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 2m 15.721s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 2m 16.106s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 2m 16.451s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 2m 16.483s
- source : MotoGP