MotoGP Mugello: Jorge Lorenzo takes first Ducati win
- Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) took his first Ducati victory with a dominant victory over team-mate Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) in the factory's home Italian MotoGP at Mugello.
This marks his first victory since 2016's Valencian GP. Pole Sitter Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) completed the podium in third.
From second on the grid, Jorge Lorenzo surged into an early lead at Mugello ahead of Valentino Rossi.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) moved up to third place on the opening lap from sixth. But he crashed out on the fifth lap.
Andrea Dovizioso moved into the runner-up spot on lap seven. Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar) and Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) as well as the Pramac Ducati of Danilo Petrucci put pressure on Valentino Rossi.
Finally, Jorge Lorenzo kept the top and received checkered flag. Danilo Petrucci moved down to 7th, Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) overtook him and finished 6th.
Marc Marquez ended up 16th of 17 lead lap finishers after remounting.
After the race, Jorge Lorenzo said;
“I had so many critics in the last year and a half and a lot of suffering with many, many hours of hard work with my trainer and my personal stuff. I’ve finally arrived to this dream and I did it with determination. I have finally got some pieces that have given me the confidence and I’ve demonstrated it. What I said was true and I have my first win with Ducati.
To win with Ducati in Mugello is a dream, it is very, very special but to win in race in MotoGP after one and a half years without victory and a lot of hard moments where you think the results aren’t coming so you work harder and harder but the results still don’t come.
Then a lot of criticising and a lot of people saying you can never win with this bike and then finally I did it. Because of that, it is amazing. This is an example of how mind and determination, proudness and I never gave up.
I changed my riding style completely to save the front tyre, and I made the biggest change from practice to race of my life. And after the race, I looked at the tyre and it was much better than I expected. I used my mind, I focused and I kept pushing till the last lap.
This victory is in the top three along with Brazil in 2003 and Estoril 2008. It is a very happy moment and I will focus on getting to the box to enjoy the party with my team for the next few hours and just concentrate on that.”
Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley Grand Prix Race Results
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 41m 43.230s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 41m 49.600s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 41m 49.859s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 41m 51.115s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 41m 51.137s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 41m 52.350s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 41m 54.128s
- Maverick Viñales / Movistar Yamaha / 41m 54.290s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 41m 54.384s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 42m 0.874s
- Pol Espargar / Red Bull KTM Factory / 42m 3.486s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 42m 5.665s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 42m 5.694s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 42m 5.725s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 42m 9.874s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 42m 22.541s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 42m 44.441s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 42m 34.319s
All photos copyright by MotoGP.
- source : MotoGP