MotoGP Algarve: Francesco Bagnaia Takes Fifth Consecutive Pole Position With Lap Record
- The Round 17 of MotoGP 2021, Algarve Grand Prix took place at Autódromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimao on November 6, 2021.
Before Qualifying, Repsol Honda announced Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) doesn't participate in this event due to crash during off-road training sessions. He suffered a fall that caused a slight head concussion. Stefan Bradl (Repsol Honda) replaced him and joined in the event.
Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) took his fifth-straight MotoGP pole position with a lap record 1m38.725s.
His team-mate Jack Miller (Ducati Team) finished 2nd position, this marks a Ducati 1-2 for the fourth time in five races.
Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) was 3rd with 1m38.893s to be his first front row start in his MotoGP qualifying career.
Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) missed out on the front row by just 0.023s, his team-mate Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) in 5th, Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda) in 6th.
World champion Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) was finally 7th after his best lap to that point was cancelled for being set under yellow flags.
Home hero Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM), whose struggles on the factory KTM this weekend continue, was 17th.
Francesco Bagnaia said, “For sure I will not use the hard front. This is true. From the rear it's different because you have to do something different to win the race. With the hard you need more time to warm up the tyre but then you can push more. The Medium maybe you have to manage a bit more, but last time here it was more hot and the medium was doing a good job. It's from the Assen that I'm in the front now and in the last few races I'm always on pole. I think it's just the feeling that I have with my bike. In qualifying you have to do a crazy lap and you have to feel very good with everything. I have a really great feeling with the front of my bike and this gave me a lot of confidence with braking and the entry. Apart from this I don't know what really changes.”
Grande Prémio Brembo do Algarve Qualifying Results
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / 1'38.725s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.104s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.168s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +0.191s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.193s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +0.333s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.406s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / +0.466s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +0.596s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / +0.662s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.924s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / +1.103s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'39.283s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / 1'39.389s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'39.595s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / 1'39.604s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / 1'39.624s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Gresini / 1'39.738s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'39.859s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / 1'39.907s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Petronas Yamaha / 1'39.918s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'40.009s
- source : MotoGP