MotoGP Valencia: Maverick Vinales Takes Pole Position at Circuit Ricardo Tormo
- The Round 19 on MotoGP 2018, Valencia Grand Prix ran Qualifying at Circuit Ricardo Tormo on November 17, 2018.
Maverick Vinales (Movistar Yamaha) took his first MotoGP pole position since Aragon last year. He had to start in Q1 and moved up to Q2 along with Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar).
2nd position was Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) behind Maverick Vinales by 0.068s. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) took 3rd position.
Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) was 4th due to the machine problem. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was crashed on the opening lap of qualifying and injured his left shoulder. He had rejoined the track with six minutes left, but he was 5th position.
In addition to Marc Marquez, Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati) and Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech3) crashed out and were resigned to 10th and 11th respectively.
Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) did not have the pace in the dry in FP4 or Q1, and missed the pole shoot-out for the third time this season.
Pole sitter Maverick Vinales said:
“Our target is trying to be in the top seven. I will try my best. Being in the top seven will be great. In the practice we have never been that strong in the wet so we have a lot to improve for tomorrow but let’s see.
I’ve never started at the front in a rain race so let’s see if we can improve following the top riders.
Luckily in Q1 I could improve a little bit on the bike [in the dry] and after Q2 I just gave my best. Being here on pole today is really special because last year this track for me was one of the worst on the calendar. Already today I could ride at my best and I feel great.
I am going to try my best tomorrow in the race and say thank you to the team as in 10 minutes they changed all of the bike and they were so fast, more than me on track, so congratulations to the team as they worked really good today.
I will try to give my best and honestly I changed to number 12 because I felt it was the right time. So let’s see as I am quite curious to see about next year.
At least this year, finally, we made one victory and one pole so it is really important to prove to Yamaha that I can be the rider for next year.”
Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Maverick Vinales / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 31.312s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 31.380s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1m 31.392s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 1m 31.414s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1m 31.442s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 31.577s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 31.629s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 31.630s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 1m 32.140s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1m 32.145s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 32.179s
- Michele Pirro / Ducati Team / 1m 32.310s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 1m 31.900s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1m 31.928s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 32.385s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 32.452s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 32.545s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 32.547s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 32.568s
- Stefan Bradl / LCR Honda / 1m 32.708s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 32.749s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 33.011s
- Jordi Torres / Reale Avintia / 1m 34.427s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 35.171s
- source : MotoGP