- MotoGP Le Mans: Tech3 Yamaha rider Johann Zarco Takes Pole Position at Le Mans
- The Round 5 on MotoGP 2018, HJC Helmets Grand Prix de France Qualifying took place at Le Mans in France on May 19, 2018.
Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech3) took pole position with 1m 31.185s in his home MotoGP. This marks his second pole of the season and the fourth of his fledgling premier class career.
Also his the circuit lap record to become the first Frenchman to secure pole on home soil since Christian Sarron at Paul Ricard in 1988.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was 2nd with 1m 31.293s, Danilo Petrucci (Pramac Ducati) was 3rd with 1m 31.381s.
Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) suffered a huge high-side crash in Q1 session and taken to the Le Mans Medical Centre with an ambulance.
Fortunately, the Englishman was able to give a thumbs-up as he was taken to a waiting ambulance on a stretcher. "Cal was conscious and never lost consciousness, so the head is okay," said MotoGP's Doctor Zasa.
Johann Zarco said;
“I’m happy that always have more chance to think about the victory and today to beat the lap record and to be on pole position is a good sign. In Le Mans, the very positive thing is to make positive steps with the set up on new and used tyres, so I think tomorrow if we have the same conditions, warm, it can be a chance to have the pace and think about the victory.
Marquez is the strong guy at the moment, but we can see at the moment there are so many fast guys. We already know the names of these guys, Marc, Dovi, Iannone is going fast, and also the two Yamahas, the three Yamahas, me and the two factory guys, they are strong. Also, Viñales with a used tyre can have a strong pace and think about the victory tomorrow.
I don’t know, I’m already surprised to have big emotions with the pole position, so I don’t want to think (about the race) too much. Tomorrow, in the case of victory, there may be a few tears, we will see.”
HJC Helmets Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 31.185s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1m 31.293s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 1m 31.381s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 31.454s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1m 31.553s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 1m 31.590s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1m 31.683s
- Maverick Viñales / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 31.784s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 31.900s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 1m 32.024s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1m 32.049s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 32.455s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1m 32.315s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 32.397s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 32.401s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 32.770s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 32.795s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 32.988s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1m 33.062s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 33.324s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 33.439s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 33.676s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 1m 33.802s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 33.839s
All photos copyright by MotoGP.
- source : MotoGP