MotoGP Austin: Marc Marquez Takes Dominant Win at COTA
- Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas watched The King of COTA is back. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) took his second victory of 2021 season at circuit of the Americas in Austin.
He led every lap to take a commanding win. This marks his seventh victory of COTA.
Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) took 2nd ahead of pole sitter Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team), who finished 3rd. This result marks Fabio Quartararo pushed his lead in the standings to 52 points over Francesco Bagnaia.
With just three races left this season, and with 25 points on offer to the winner of each one, Fabio Quartararo is within touching distance of a first MotoGP world title.
Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) was given a long lap penalty for cutting the track, and finally was 5th allowing Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) to take 4th.
Rookie Enea Bastianini (Avintia Ducati) snatched 6th on the final lap, beating reigning world champion Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) by 0.137s.
But Joan Mir made contact with Jack Miller (Ducati Team) into Turn 15 on the final lap. Joan Mir's post-race penalty dropped him to 8th and pushed Jack Miller up to 7th.
Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia) and Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) crashed out.
Marc Marquez said, “Basically, my plan A was to lead the race from the first lap and I did it. It was a perfect start, especially the first corner I was braking deep and hard. I tried to control the race in the first three/four laps and then push. From five-zero/four-high (lap times) I went to four-low and that is where I felt very strong. I tried to open a gap and that is what I did. On those laps I felt very good with the bike and the last part of the race I didn't know how my physical condition would be. I think everybody struggled a lot in this race, so yeah, the gap that I opened with Fabio was enough to manage and ride very constant. Of course, in the left circuit corners; always has been one of my strong points, but now with the injuries it is even bigger the difference, the feeling in right and left corners. It is easy to explain that the left corners I can turn and I can push with the left hand and use the triceps. But in the right corners, just I push with the left and from there I have understeer. When I try to push with the right hand at the moment I can't, but I am able to ride well. It is true that riding like this is difficult, which is why I crashed many times, but we are working on it and we are trying to understand it well.”
Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas Race Results
- Marc Marque / Repsol Honda / 41m 41.435s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +4.679s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +8.547s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +11.098s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +11.752s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / +13.269s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +13.406s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +14.722s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +15.832s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +20.265s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +23.055s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / +24.743s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Petronas Yamaha / +25.307s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / +26.853s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / +28.055s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / +30.989s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +35.251s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / +42.239s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +49.854s
- source : MotoGP