MotoGP Thailand GP: Jorge Martin Takes Pole Position with New Lap Record & Wins Sprint Race
The Round 17 of MotoGP 2023, OR Thailand Grand Prix took place at the Chang International Circuit in Buriram on October 28, 2023.
In Qualifying, Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) took the pole position with a new lap record 1'29.287s, following Australian GP.
Luca Marini (Mooney VR46 Ducati) was 2nd behind Jorge Martin by 0.138s. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) was 3rd.
Marco Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Ducati), Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM), and Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo) will start on the 2nd row.
The Marquez brothers, Alex Marquez (Gresini Ducati) and Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) advanced to Q2 from Q1, and 7th and 8th, respectively.
Following them, Maverick Viñales (Aprilia Racing) was 9th and his former team-mate Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) was 10th.
Australian GP winner Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) finished 11th.
In the Sprint Race, Jorge Martin claimed a fifth consecutive sprint victory in 2023, with a total seven sprint race wins this season.
Brad Binder was 2nd, bring 6th podium of 2023. Luca Marini was 3rd and marks his 3rd podium of the seson, following Argentine GP and Indonesian GP.
Marc Marquez snatched fourth from Aleix Espargaro on the final lap. Marco Bezzecchi finished 6th ahead of Francesco Bagnaia and Alex Marquez.
Johann Zarco and Jack Miller (Red Bull KTM) rounded out the top 10.
Jorge Martin said, “It pretty much went to plan. I tried to save tyres at the beginning. Then I saw Brad overtook Luca so I said: 'OK, maybe now it's time to go'. But then I saw Brad and Luca (catching up) and decided maybe now it's time to pull away. I pushed the lead out to 1.9 (seconds) then I tried to manage the tyres until the end. Winning is always great. It was a complicated weekend because I didn't feel that strong compared to Australia, I had less advantage. Everything is so, so tight here but I think we worked really well, we could really use the tyres. So I had something [in hand] after six or seven laps and then on the end I just tried to manage the seconds, tried to finish safely for tomorrow and keep the energy I will need for tomorrow 100%. Also working a little on the maps. I think overall it was a great day, I'm really happy. I think it will be a different race. I expect Pecco (Bagnaia) to improve.”
OR Thailand Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 1'29.287s
- Luca Marini / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +0.138s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Racing / +0.174s
- Marco Bezzecchi / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +0.196s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.209s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Lenovo / +0.240s
- Alex Marquez / Gresini Ducati / +0.313s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.335s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Racing / +0.414s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.420s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.636s
- Augusto Fernandez / Tech3 GASGAS / +0.790s
- Fabio Di Giannantonio / Gresini Ducati / 1'29.85s
- Raul Fernandez / RNF Aprilia / 1'29.914s
- Jack Miller / Red Bull KTM / 1'30.096s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'30.115s
- Pol Espargaro / Tech3 GASGAS / 1'30.124s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / 1'30.158s
- Joan Mir / Repsol Honda / 1'30.263s
- Miguel Oliveira / RNF Aprilia / 1'30.442s
- Enea Bastianini / Ducati Lenovo / 1'30.677s
OR Thailand Grand Prix Sprint Race Results
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 19m 41.593s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.933s
- Luca Marini / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +1.841s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +3.503s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Racing / +3.581s
- Marco Bezzecchi / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +4.029s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Lenovo / +4.121s
- Alex Marquez / Gresini Ducati / +6.727s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +7.323s
- Jack Miller / Red Bull KTM / +9.240s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +9.339s
- Joan Mir / Repsol Honda / +10.356s
- Enea Bastianini / Ducati Lenovo / +12.312s
- Raul Fernandez / RNF Aprilia / +15.390s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +15.535s
- Pol Espargaro / Tech3 GASGAS / +15.644s
- Miguel Oliveira / RNF Aprilia / +17.753s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Racing / +22.675s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +37.854s
Photo by MotoGP
- source : MotoGP