MotoGP Catalan GP: Aleix Espargaro Wins Home Catalunya GP, Dedicates Maiden Aprilia MotoGP 1-2
Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya watched Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) took the second victory of 2023 season at the Barcelona circuit in Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya Montmeló, Spain on September 3, 2023.
When beginning of the race, Enea Bastianini (Ducati Lenovo) triggered a multi-rider incident at Turn 1 that took down Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati), Alex Marquez (Gresini Ducati), Fabio Di Giannantonio (Gresini Ducati), and Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Ducati).
Seconds later, Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo) crashed with a heavy highside at exiting Turn 2, then the race was red-flagged.
Francesco Bagnaia had his leg run over by Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM), taken to hospital in Barcelona for further checks, along with Enea Bastianini.
The race restarted around 25 minutes after the original start as the 23-lap.
Maverick Vinales (Aprilia Racing) led the race and competed against his team-mate Aleix Espargaro until lap 19.
But he was over taken by Aleix Espargaro at Turn 1 on the 19-lap, and finally finished 2nd.
While, Aleix Espargaro took the second victory, following British GP.
This marks the first Aprilia 1-2 GP finish in the premier class. It's also the first time two Aprilias have been on the Grand Prix podium.
Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) was 3rd, taking his fourth podium of 2023.
Aleix Espargaro said, “With my riding style and this wind it was very difficult. I made a mistake when I was trying to overtake and lost a lot of ground. I thought for a moment I wouldn't catch him, he was very fast. But I went to the limit like it was qualifying and I made it.”
Maverick Vinales said, “I want for people to understand that in this sport a rider has to feel the value. In this team I feel like I have a lot of value, a lot of respect and this is very important because I wasn't treated in a good way in the past. Today, this kind of feeling with the team - today is the best day of my career on a motorcycle. What I saw with the people, with myself, my wife, was unbelievable.”
Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya Race Results
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Racing / 38m 56.159s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Racing / +0.377s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +2.831s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +4.867s
- Miguel Oliveira / RNF Aprilia / +7.529s
- Alex Marquez / Gresini Ducati / +10.590s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +10.821s
- Jack Miller / Red Bull KTM / +10.880s
- Augusto Fernandez / Tech3 GASGAS / +12.889s
- Fabio Di Giannantonio / Gresini Ducati / +13.280s
- Luca Marini / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +16.491s
- Marco Bezzecchi / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +16.561s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +21.616s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +23.108s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +26.740s
- Iker Lecuona / LCR Honda / +28.860s
- Joan Mir / Repsol Honda / +33.929s
Photo by MotoGP
- source : MotoGP