MotoGP Qatar: Gresini's Enea Bastianini Takes Emotional Maiden Victory
- Qatar Grand Prix watched Gresini Ducati's Enea Bastianini took an emotional maiden MotoGP victory at Lusail International Circuit in Doha on March 6, 2022.
Enea Bastianini took the first win in the second year after stepping up to MotoGP.
For Gresini Racing, it is their first victory of Moto GP in 16 years since the 2006 Valencian GP, where Toni Elías won.
Also, it is the first victory after the team founder Fausto Gresini passed away of COVID-19 in 2021.
Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM) took 2nd place behind Enea Bastianini by 0.346s. This marks his first podium since win of the 2021 Austrian GP.
Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda) led the race since beginning, but he made a mistake on lap 19, who run out wide at Turn 1. Finally, he finished 3rd.
His brother Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) was 4th, and his team-mate Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was 5th.
Poleman Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) crashed out with Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenov) on lap 12. When Francesco Bagnaia tried to overtake Jorge Martin and contacted with him.
The 2021 Wold Champion Fabio Quartararo finished 9th.
Enea Bastianini said, “I'm very happy today. We saw a very good potential in the test and when we arrived here we have done another step on the set-up and electronics. Yesterday, for the first time I did a really good lap time in the qualifying. Today I started from the first row. The best choice for me was the medium on the rear because this morning I tried it in the warm-up and saw a good potential. Also, with the soft it pumps a lot in the slow corner but the medium was more stable. I thought 'okay I need to put the medium'. It wasn't easy in the first part of the race because Pol [Espargaro] pushed a lot, but the last seven laps it was the best choice. So with that it was possible to close the gap and to win. Yeah it was really nice! (to win for him) Fausto had such really good guys in this team and now Nadia [Padovani] (New Team Owner) has brought together the team and the atmosphere is fantastic. All the guys are so motivated like me. It stayed possible to do this for him today.”
Grand Prix Of Qatar Race Results
- Enea Bastianini / Gresini Ducati / 42m 13.198s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.346s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +1.351s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Racing / +2.242s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +4.099s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +4.843s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +8.810s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +10.536s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +10.543s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +14.967s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +16.712s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Racing / +23.216s
- Luca Marini / Mooney VR46 Ducati / +27.283s
- Andrea Dovizioso / WithU Yamaha RNF / +27.374s
- Remy Gardner / KTM Tech3 / +41.107s
- Darryn Binder / WithU Yamaha RNF / +41.119s
- Fabio Di Giannantonio / Gresini Ducati / +41.349s
- Raul Fernandez / KTM Tech3 / +42.357s
Photo by MotoGP
- source : MotoGP