MotoGP Austrian: Jorge Martin Takes Second Pole Position In A Row at Red Bull Ring
- The Round 11 of MotoGP 2021, Bitci Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich took place at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg on August 14, 2021.
Before Qualifying, Monster Energy Yamaha team announced that Maverick Viñales has been withdrawn from Austrian GP due to “unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle” in last weekend's Styrian GP.
In Qualifying, Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) advanced to Q2 from Q1 and took back-to-back pole positions with the Red Bull Ring lap record, following Styrian GP.
Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) recorded lap record twice before Jorge Martin taking pole, but was finally 2nd.
Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) had no time on the board with five minutes to go owing to track limits violations, but managed to secure 3rd with a 1m23.063s.
Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati), Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) and Jack Miller (Ducati Team) will start on the second row.
Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) will start 7th ahead of Aleix Espargarao (Aprilia Gresini) by 0.045s, while Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM) advanced to Q2 from Q1, but was 9th.
Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha) registered his worst qualifying result since Mugello in 18th.
Jorge Martin said, “It wasn't a perfect lap, I started well in the first sector then in the second corner I blocked the front going uphill, but then I thought the first sector was good so tried to stop the best I could. I kept pushing and saw I was coming in hot, then I made a mistake with the gear at Turns 4 and 5… but anyway, in T3 I was improving and in the last two corners I tried to not go in the green because today with the wind that was difficult… and when I finished I saw 22.9 and I thought 'woah that's a good time'… but on the TV I saw maybe Quartararo improved, I don't know, but maybe touched the green? When I saw I was on pole I was amazed. I want to dedicate it to my grandfather who is in hospital battling a lot, but… yeah I'm really happy, the points are tomorrow but I'll try and battle for the podium.”
Bitci Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreic Qualifying Results
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / 1'22.643s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / +0.034s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / +0.420s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +0.477s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.584s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +0.677s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.735s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.780s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +0.856s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.925s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +1.095s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +1.347s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1'23.47s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 1'23.535s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'23.79s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / 1'23.825s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / 1'23.834s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / 1'23.939s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / 1'24.405s
- Cal Crutchlow / Petronas Yamaha / 1'24.509s
- source : MotoGP