- MotoGP Australia: Maverick Vinales Takes 2018's First Victory at Phillip Island
- The Round 17 on MotoGP 2018, Australia Grand Prix watched Maverick Vinales (Movistar Yamaha) claimed his first victory of the 2018 season at Phillip Island on October 28, 2018.
This marks he broke Yamaha's 25-race MotoGP winless streak with a dominant performance. Also, it is his first win since French GP in 2017.
The 2ns place was Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar) behind Maverick Vinales by 1.543s. He took his fourth podium and the best result of the 2018 season.
Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) finished 3rd ahead of Jorge Lorenzo's replacement, Alvaro Bautista (Ducati Team). Fourth place of Alvaro Bautista is his best result on the 2018. Another Suzuki rider Alex Rins was 5th, following Bautista.
Pole sitter Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was out of the race on lap 6, because Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech3) contact Marquez's rear tyre and crashed out.
Local hero, Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati) moved up to 1st place once, but he finished seventh. Also Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) moved up to 2nd position once, but finally he dropped back to 6th.
MotoGP Australia Winner Maverick Vinales said:
“Well actually it’s an unbelievable day. First of all I didn’t expect to start so bad, it was incredible. When I saw myself in tenth I said ‘Mav, you are stupid, what are you doing?’ And I just tried to keep my concentration and we worked so good this morning on the switch, the electronic. I knew that if I felt good I could be fast.
Returning to the win at this track is something unbelievable. It’s the best track for me. Maybe the track made myself switch really good and that’s why I could make a little bit more and, really happy. Honestly during the weekend, the team were working really good and working in the way that I wanted and that’s unbelievably good.
Honestly, the season has been difficult. I needed that win, we needed that win, Yamaha needed that win. I said on Friday we need to be good and we need to be motivated to start next year really good and for sure that win is going to give us motivation and I’m really happy. All the guys worked so good over the weekend, just even yesterday we were dealing together, trying to be more confident between all the team and… the race just worked out how I imagined. Amazing, this morning I felt like I could do it and when I had the chance I just go and you know to show and prove my riding style was at the top today was amazing.”
Michelin® Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix Race Results
- Maverick Vinales / Movistar Yamaha / 40m51.081s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / +1.543s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +1.832s
- Alvaro Bautista / Ducati Team / +4.072s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +5.017s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / +5.132s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / +6.756s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / +21.805s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / +22.904s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / +22.940s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / +34.386s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / +35.025s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / +36.348s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +36.389s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / +44.214s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / +48.226s
- Jordi Torres / Reale Avintia / +1m04.965s
- Mike Jones / Angel Nieto Team / +1m19.817s
- source : MotoGP