MotoGP Czech: Johann Zarco Takes Pole As Fabio Quartararo Crashes
- The Round 3 on MotoGP 2020, MotoGP Czech took place at Automotodrom Brno circuit in Czechia and Qualifying ran on August 8th.
Unfortunately, reigns champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) would not enter in this event due to having surgery his right arm again.
Johann Zarco (Reale Avintia) claimed his first pole since the 2018 French GP, where he was in Tech3 Yamaha team.
The 2nd and 3rd positions were two Yamaha riders Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) and Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha), respectively.
Fabio Quartararo tried to take pole back on his final lap, but he crashed at the penultimate corner.
Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Gresini) scored Aprilia's best-ever MotoGP qualifying result in fourth.
Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) recorded 1m56.290s in front row, but it was deleted after he exceeded track limits on the exit of Turn 12 late on in Q1. Eventually, he will start at 17th position.
Johann Zarco said, “It was really emotional this pole position. I saw the lap time and I was surprised because there was a huge difference compared with the lap time with the first tyre, so I thought that will be a good time to have a good position.
When I crossed the line, I saw P1 from my team and they were happy but I was thinking other guys would improve.
The taste of pole position is so good and the taste is good today because it is many races I wasn't in pole position. I have been struggling and wondering if I can be on top, even if I have big support from people that are telling me I can do it.
But when you see all the guys are so fast that sometimes you're doing maximum and you're still not there, so you wonder if you are still on the pace and today I was.
Race pace is better than the previous races but not the one for winning, I think. The conditions will be a little bit different compared with today. I need wait and see but staying as long as possible to fight for the podium can be a great option and stay strong. Being in the top five will be a huge result.
Things are coming back but we need to accept every step, today was a bigger step than we planned, but tomorrow beginning of the race staying with the top guys will be a huge help to be fast and then the tyre will drop and we will see how to manage it.”
Monster Energy Grand Prix České republiky Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / 1'55.687s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +0.303s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.311s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +0.387s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +0.444s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +0.455s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +0.612s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / +0.767s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.825s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / +0.828s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.884s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / +1.110s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1'56.328s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1'56.352s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1'56.695s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1'56.764s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'56.822s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1'57.034s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Test Rider / 1'57.438s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / 1'57.573s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1'57.606s
- source : MotoGP