MotoGP European: Pol Espargaro Takes Pole Position In The Wet at Valencia
- The Round 12 of MotoGP 2020, MotoGP European ran qualifying at Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia on November 7th.
Before MotoGP European, Yamaha as a MotoGP manufacturer and its two teams have all been dealt substantial points penalties for failing to respect protocol.
Yamaha altered engine componentry illegally under the engine freeze rule. Yamaha has now fallen from first in the Manufacturers' Championship to third behind both Ducati and Suzuki.
But, none of the four Yamaha riders have received any points penalties in the Riders' Championship.
Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM) took his second pole position of 2020 after mastering the wet conditions. The second position was Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar), who was behind Pol Espargaro by 0.041s. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) took 3rd position.
Johann Zarco (Reale Avintia), current Championship leader Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar), and Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Gresini) will start on the second row of the grid.
Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) has qualified in 11th. This is the first time since he stepped up to MotoGP™ at the start of 2019 that he has failed to qualify in the top 10.
Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha) returned to the event and was 17th, who missed all of Friday's running as he awaited the results of a COVID-19 test.
Pol Espargaro said, “I don't really know how this lap comes. I didn't know if I would be able to make it... but finally, that last lap, I said okay, everything or nothing. Let's put everything together and try the maximum. In these conditions it's very difficult to put a clean lap together in all the sectors, but I did it.”
Gran Premio de Europa Qualifying Results
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / 1'40.434s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.041s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +0.096s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / +0.143s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.270s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / + 0.459s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / +0.459s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +0.894s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +1.123s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +1.347s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +1.509s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +1.815s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / 1'41.01s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1'41.276s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / 1'41.31s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1'41.311s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / 1'41.395s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / 1'42.039s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / 1'42.244s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / 1'42.532s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1'43.03s
- source : MotoGP