MotoGP Emilia Romagna: Francesco Bagnaia Takes Fourth MotoGP Pole Position In A Row
- The Round 16 of MotoGP 2021, Emilia Romagna Grand Prix took place at Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli on October 23, 2021.
Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) advanced to Q2 from Q1, and took four pole positions in a row this season.
He is the first Ducati rider to take pole in four successive MotoGP events since Casey Stoner with seven in a row in 2008.
Also he became the fourth rider since the current qualifying format was introduced in 2013 to qualify on pole position after passing through Q1, along with Marc Marquez (Thailand/2018), Maverick Viñales (Valencia/2018) and Jorge Martin (Austria/2021).
Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) was 2nd behind Francesco Bagnaia by 0.025s.
Rookie and Valentino Rossi's half-brother Luca Marini (Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati) took 3rd position, which is his first ever front row in MotoGP.
Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda), Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM) and Franco Morbidelli (Monster Yamaha) will start on the second row of the grid.
For Franco Morbidelli, this result marks his best qualifying after he changed teams.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) did fall at Turn 6 at the end of the session and ended up in 7th place.
Iker Lecuona (KTM Tech3) advanced to Q2 from Q1 the same as Francesco Bagnaia, but crashed at the end of Q2 and was 8th.
Championship leader Fabio Quartararo couldn't advance to Q2 from Q1 and will start a season-worst 15th.
Francesco Bagnaia said, “This morning my feeling with the wet was okay. But then we put in new tyres. I started with used tyres, but when we put the new tyres I was struggling a lot. I overheated the rear tyre too much and it was very difficult to have traction. So, I didn't manage to be in the top ten. But, I think in this condition it's maybe better to be in the Q1 because in the FP4 I was feeling great, I was doing laps and the consistency was okay. Then in Q1 I just tried all the session riding and the confidence was better every lap. In Q2 I just tried to set a good time. I was thinking it was not enough because in the second time-attack I was struggling a bit more, but finally, I got pole and I'm very happy about it. It's the best way to finish this Saturday. I was needing to push if Fabio started P2, but I think I have to push the same now that he's 15th. The only thing that I can do to keep the championship open is trying to win tomorrow. The objective would be the same even if Fabio was starting further in front. I don't know Fabio's mindset at the moment. For sure Fabio will be strong and will come back, but I'm just thinking about myself and I will give my all to stay in front. It won't be easy because we haven't done so many laps with used tyres. It will be very difficult and very tricky. Also we have to look at the conditions. Tomorrow morning will be wet and it takes a lot of time to dry.”
Gran Premio Nolan del Made in Italy e dell'Emilia-Romagna Qualifying Results
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Lenovo Team / 1'33.045s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Lenovo Team / +0.025s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / +0.085s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +0.268s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM / +0.394s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +0.481s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.805s
- Iker Lecuona / KTM Tech3 / +0.848s
- Danilo Petrucci / KTM Tech3 / +1.095s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +1.642s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +1.918s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +51.586s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1'34.418s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / 1'34.454s
- Fabio Quartararo / Monster Yamaha / 1'34.476s
- Enea Bastianini / Avintia Ducati / 1'35.236s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'35.641s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / 1'35.683s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Gresini / 1'35.835s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'36.478s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Petronas Yamaha / 1'36.639s
- Michele Pirro / Ducati Team / 1'37.88s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / 1'38.261s
- Lorenzo Savadori / Aprilia Gresini / No Time
- source : MotoGP