MotoGP Catalunya: Fabio Quartararo Wins To Retake MotoGP Points Lead
- Catalunya Grand Prix watched Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) took his third victory of 2020 and returned to the lead of the MotoGP championship after a lap one crash for Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team).
Team Suzuki Ecstar duo, Joan Mir and Alex Rins stand on the rostrum after showing phenomenal late-race pace. Joan Mir was 2nd at the chequered flag and moved up to second in the championship with his fourth podium of the year. Meanwhile Alex Rins, it is his first podium since the 2019 British Grand Prix.
Pole sitter Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) finished 4th after he almost crashed twice on the way into Turn 1 on lap 14.
Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha) tipped into the left-hande at Turn 2 on lap 16 and was out of his 350th MotoGP race, also his 200th premier class podium has gone.
Andrea Dovizioso moved down to 4th in the championship after crashed out with Johann Zarco (Avintia Ducati).
Fabio Quartararo said, “This is the best moment that I have had in a long time! We have had some tough times since Jerez, so this actually feels better than those wins. I was not expecting to be so fast in the opening laps, but those two guys [Joan Mir and Alex Rins] were so fast at the end of the race. We need to look at why we are struggling at the end of the race. We know that our bike is better in qualifying, so we need to balance this a bit better, but at the end of the day the race result is the most important thing and we won. It feels so good though to be back on the top step of the podium. I am also so happy that I am able to race at my home GP next, because there are not many races in this season. My thanks to the team because this victory is well deserved.”
Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya Grand Prix Race Results
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / 40m 33.176s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.928s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +1.898s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +2.846s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / +3.391s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / +3.518s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +3.671s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / +6.117s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / +13.607s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / +14.483s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +14.927s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +15.647s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / +17.327s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +27.066s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / +27.282s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Gresini / +28.736s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / +32.643s
- source : MotoGP