MotoGP Algarve: Francesco Bagnaia Wins In Red-Flagged Race
- Algarve Grand Prix watched Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Team) claimed his third victory of 2021 in red-flagged race at Portimao circuit, handing Ducati the constructors title.
With two laps remaining, the race stopped with red-flagged due to an accident involving Iker Lecuona (KTM Tech3) and Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM) at Turn 13.
Both riders were conscious although Miguel Oliveira required a check-up at the circuit medical centre.
Francesco Bagnaia had started on pole position for a fifth consecutive race and dominated the race without ever giving the top to other riders once.
Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) took 2nd place, this marks his sixth podium of 2021.
Jack Miller (Ducati Team) and Alex Marquez (LCR Honda) competed for 3rd. With five laps to go Jack Miller finally got through on Alex Marquez and took podium. But Alex Marquez in 4th marked his best result of 2021 season.
2021 World Champion Fabio Quartararo (Monster Yamaha) battled with Jorge Martin (Pramac Ducati) and Johann Zarco (Pramac Ducati) for 5th. But Fabio Quartararo crashed out on lap 21 when he fell at the Turn 5 hairpin, registering his first DNF of the 2021 season.
In front of a crowd of around 28,000 spectators, nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha) finished in 13th place in the penultimate race of his career. The 42-year-old will ride off into retirement next week.
Francesco Bagnaia said, “I'm very happy because I think it's my best weekend in MotoGP. Also, I enjoyed every single session this weekend. When you feel so great with your bike everything comes more easily to you. I'm very happy with the work done. Compared to April when I finished second, I was feeling more competitive this time around. This race was more difficult at the start because with the front tyre I was struggling a bit more compared to other races, so I was trying to push but every time I was leaning on the left I was feeling that the left was closing. But then everything came better and better in the next laps, so I'm very happy for this win. I sincerely think I'm the same in Misano. I was doing the same race, I was doing the same pushing like Misano and there I was more unlucky because I crashed. Maybe today it's because I wasn't with the hard front [jokes Bagnaia]; Mir cuts in and says 'I hoped you used the hard' [smiles], but sincerely I didn't change it. In Misano I was just trying to open up the championship, but I already knew that it was very difficult to win it. If I won in Misano then for sure Quartararo would not crash today. So it's okay like this. I was racing without pressure in the championship, so I just did the same thing today.”
Grande Prémio Brembo do Algarve Race Results
- Francesco Bagnaia / Ducati Team / 38m 17.72s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +2.478s
- Jack Miller / Ducati Team / +6.402s
- Alex Marquez / LCR Honda / +6.453s
- Johann Zarco / Pramac Ducati / +7.882s
- Pol Espargaro / Repsol Honda / +9.573s
- Jorge Martin / Pramac Ducati / +10.144s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +10.742s
- Enea Bastianin / Avintia Ducati / +13.840s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +14.487s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +20.912s
- Luca Marini / Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati / +22.450s
- Valentino Rossi / Petronas Yamaha / +22.752s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Petronas Yamaha / +26.207s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / +26.284s
- Maverick Viñales / Aprilia Gresini / +26.828s
- Franco Morbidelli / Monster Yamaha / +27.863s
- source : MotoGP