MotoGP Teruel: Takaaki Nakagami Takes Maiden Pole Position in Aragon
- The Round 11 of MotoGP 2020, MotoGP Teruel ran qualifying at the same MotorLand in Aragon following last week.
Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) claimed his first pole position in the premier class as Japanese rider since Makoto Tamada in 2004.
2nd position was Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) behind Takaaki Nakagami by 0.063s. Previous winner Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) took 3rd position.
The championship leader Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) was 12th and will start on 4th row tomorrow. Meanwhile, the championship 2nd standing Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) missed the yellow flag zone and was 6th.
Johann Zarco (Reale Avintia) crashed at the last corner at the end of the session, which initially led to several lap cancellations, but these were reinstated owing to a miscommunication between the marshals and Race Direction. He will start at 5th position.
However, other Ducti riders including Andrea Dovizioso, Danilo Petrucci, Francesco Bagnaia, Jack Miller and Tito Rabat could not advance to Q2 from Q1.
Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda) completed the top 10 on his Honda for his best qualifying result of the year.
Takaaki Nakagami said, “It is an amazing feeling, I never expected to fight for pole position. If we can fight for the front row [then we are doing well] but this weekend we have been competitive, we can fight for the front row but in the end we made a good lap time and when I showed the first sub-1m 47secs it was a good feeling.
The bike is really good, so I am more than happy. I want to say thanks to my team, I am proud to be in parc ferme with P1 so we hope to continue this performance on Sunday.
Our pace is quite competitive and it was a surprise for us because we didn't change anything from last weekend. We are not decided which tyre to use for the race but good pace, this is the most important thing.
I have some strategy but these two guys (Franco Morbidelli and Alex Rins) are really strong at the beginning of the race, I hope I can make a good start.
I want to enjoy the race because I have the first pole position and on Thursday we announced a new contract, so now no stress, more freedom.
I don't remember the race well but I was told the last Japanese person on pole was Tamada-san in 2004, so 16 years ago is a long time. I have a great friendship with Tamada-san and I was always following him on TV and he was always fighting for the races. I'm proud to get the pole position, so next step is to get the win.”
Gran Premio Liqui Moly de Teruel Qualifying Results
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'46.882s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.063s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.273s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +0.359s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / +0.415s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +0.444s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / +0.495s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +0.627s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +0.637s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.721s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +0.739s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.760s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / 1'47.372s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1'47.394s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'47.478s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / 1'47.585s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1'47.747s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / 1'47.759s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / 1'47.855s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1'48.114s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Gresini / 1'48.402s
- source : MotoGP