MotoGP Malaysia: Fabio Quartararo Takes Pole Position at Sepang International Circuit
- The Round 18 of MotoGP 2019, Shell Malaysia Motorcycle Grand Prix ran Qualifying at Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia on November 2, 2019.
All Yamahas, Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha), Maverick Vinales (Monster Yamaha) and Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) have claimed their first front-row lockout since the 2017 French GP.
Reigning World Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) suffered a spectacular high-side on his way into Turn 2. He will start at 11 position, which means he's facing his worst starting position since the 2015 Italian GP.
Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati), Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) and Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha) will start on the second row of the grid.
The pole sitter Fabio Quartararo said, “In the first run he was behind so I think if he wants to follow us it means we are doing a good job. I think the team and me are proud of the job that we are doing this year. I think it is a little bit part of the game. If one day I have the possibility to do it, I will do it also, I think it is good for both riders. It was not very easy because on the first run I knew that Marc was behind but I didn’t have the choice. We needed to secure at least the first two rows because the clouds were quite over the track.”
He continued, “We managed to get a good lap and in the second run it was really difficult as we did the out lap really slowly and I had a few moments on my first lap. Then the second one was quite tricky in the conditions but I was really happy as the lap was almost perfect, I lost the front in the last corner but in the end what matters is that we have the pole position.
It is true that all Yamahas have a really strong pace. I think Marc will come back for sure and Dovi has a really good pace so it will not be an easy race for us but like always we will give 100%.
I think we have good pace too and we need to chose the tyres tomorrow morning to be sure but normally we have an idea and that’s really good.
Marc will come back as we know he has a really strong pace. He is strong in the race. Dovi will be here, Rins I think is quite strong and I think he had a good pace. We didn’t check exactly who has a good pace but for sure they are the ones I think will be there.”
Shell Malaysia Motorcycle Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / 1'58.303s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +0.103s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.129s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / +0.422s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / +0.648s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / +0.697s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.787s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / +0.794s
- Johann Zarco / LCR Honda / +0.836s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +0.870s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.875s
- Francesco Bagnai / Pramac Ducati / +1.337s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / 1'59.374s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1'59.435s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1'59.812s
- Karel Abraham / Reale Avintia Ducati / 2'0.072s
- Andrea Iannone / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 2'0.205s
- Jorge Lorenz / Repsol Honda / 2'0.478s
- Mika Kallio / Red Bull KTM Factory / 2'0.644s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 2'1.045s
- source : MotoGP