MotoGP Austria: Andrea Dovizioso Beats Marc Marquez at Last-Corner To Win
- The Austrian Grand Prix witnessed Andrea Dovizioso (Mission Winnow Ducati) claimed his second victory of 2019 at Red Bull Ring since Qatar Grand Prix 2019.
He battled with Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) until the final lap. Both riders failed to start and Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) led the race.
But Marquez and Dovizioso passed Quartararo on the fifth lap. At that point, Marc Marquez was 1st place, Andrea Dovizioso 2nd, Fabio Quartararo 3rd and Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati) 4th. Unfortunately, Jack Miller crashed out on 7th lap.
Andrea Dovizioso tried to pass Marc Marquez on 19 laps. However Marquez overtook Dovizioso again 3 lap to go.
On the final lap, Andrea Dovizioso passed Marquez at last corner again and recieved the chequered flag ahead of Marquez by 0.213s.
Andrea Dovizioso said about his late overtake. “I was a bit scared about that. During the race I didn’t have that good feeling. I was there but we were pushing, not every lap but we were pushing and on braking we tried to save the tyre a little bit but we were on the limit and when you are behind a rider here it is a bit harder.
I really didn’t prepare that corner and it was not a corner for my style or my bike to enter there, but it happened along with a lot of things during the race.
If you are pushing 100% it is a bit harder so you have to be really careful on the braking and you don’t want to brake too late because then you can make a mistake easily.”
He continued, “I wasn’t as fast as Marc but I had more grip to stay with them. I am so happy for many reasons. I think it is the best or one of the best victories because we didn’t have the same speed as Marc before the race so we needed a strategy to try to stay with him.
In the end I had a chance to fight until the end and the last corner because he didn’t have the same grip as me on the right. On the braking it was better but with that grip I was able to stay with him and make that crazy last corner.
I really didn’t prepare that but I did Turn 9 in a perfect way, the corner before, so I was a bit on the inside and I thought okay if I am going long I will be second no problem but I stopped the bike in the right way.
I am so happy, so happy for Ducati because we needed that, this victory and in this way, it will give us energy for the future which is what we need.”
myWorld Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich Race Results
- Andrea Dovizioso / Mission Winnow Ducati / 39m 34.771s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.213s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +6.117s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / +7.719s
- Maverick Viñales / Monster Yamaha / +8.674s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +8.695s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / +16.021s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +16.206s
- Danilo Petrucci / Mission Winnow Ducati / +17.350s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +20.510s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +22.273s
- Johann Zarco / Red Bull KTM Factory / +25.503s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / +31.962s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / +34.741s
- Karel Abraham / Reale Avintia Ducati / +48.109s
- Andrea Iannone / Factory Aprilia Gresin / +11.827s
- source : MotoGP