MotoGP San Marino: Franco Morbidelli Takes Maiden Win As Quartararo Crashes Out
- Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) claimed his first victory of Premiere Class at the Marco Simoncelli circuit on September 13th.
He is the fourth rider to win their first grand prix in the six races so far this year.
It was the first race since the Covid-19 outbreak to include spectators, with 9,970 people attending a race that is usually watched by around 100,000.
Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Ducati) finished 2nd behind Franco Morbidelli by 2.217s. This result marks his first podium of MotoGP.
Both riders of Franco Morbidelli and Francesco Bagnaia are also members of the VR46 riders academy of Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha).
3rd was Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) and it is his second podium of 2020.
Valentino Rossi finished 4th. He was running 2nd place following Franco Morbidelli since just after the start of the race. But he was overtaken by Francesco Bagnaia on lap 21 and Joan Mir on last lap. Eventually, he failed to claim his 200th MotoGP podium.
The Championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) crashed at the Rio corner at Turn 4. He rejoined down in 20th, and after a trip to the pits on lap 20, he crashed for a second time at Turn 6, and had no-points.
This marks Fabio Quartararo moved down to 2nd in the Championship, Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), who finished 7th in the race, moved up to 1st.
The race winner Franco Morbidelli said, “The race was fine, I got a good start and in the beginning of the race I felt the pressure from Vale,” he said after the race. “I could see we were pulling away and I was hoping we wouldn't fight each other, then I saw I was pulling away which was a great surprise.
When I saw I was pulling away I said to myself 'just try to maintain your rhythm', but what I could see on the dashboard was impressive, then the last 10 laps were unbelievable as I had the chance to think about many things.
It was a great feeling, they were the most important 10 laps of my career, I had a lot of fun and I just want to say thanks to my team and everyone that has been working with me.
I feel winning a MotoGP race makes the difference, just in the way you feel prouder and self-confident and as I said after the race I am full of pride and I feel good.
I don't think too much about what the other riders think about me, I just try to make my job at best and today I did the right thing.”
Gran Premio Lenovo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Grand Prix Race Results
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / 42m 2.272s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / +2.217s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +2.290s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / +2.643s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +4.044s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +5.383s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +10.358s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / +11.155s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / +10.839s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +12.030s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +12.376s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / +12.405s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / +15.142s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +19.914s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / +20.152s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / +22.094s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / +22.473s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / +37.856s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Gresini / +78.831s
- source : MotoGP