MotoGP Spanish: Fabio Quartararo Claims Pole In Dramatic Jerez Qualifying
- MotoGP is back. MotoGP Spanish took place at Circuito de Jerez in Spain following QNB GP, which was held back in March.
The event has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic between March and June. Finally, MotoGP will take place 16-race rest of 2020.
The qualifying of Spanish GP kicked off on July 18th. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) took the first MotoGP pole of 2020 with his own Jerez lap record.
Maverick Vinales (Monster Yamaha) was second position and the reigning World Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was third.
Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) crashed on Turn 11 in Q2, then will not participate the race tomorrow.
Fabio Quartararo said, “Friday was tough, the first 20mins I was not able to ride [due to a penalty] and then FP1 was not so easy but then we made quite a big change in FP2 and we improved a lot on the pace, also we don't make a time attack on the Friday so this morning we tried it, we had a good feeling and the track was totally different from the morning and I didn't expect that grip. Finally we had a good confidence with the bike, good grip, so let's see for tomorrow… but I felt great on the bike.”
He continued, “I think we found something a little bit better in FP4, I stopped quickly in the garage to make a small change and then tomorrow in the warm-up we will need to confirm but I think we are going in a good way finally. It was such a long time since we rode the bike and the 2020 machine is our first race so we need to adapt.
It's not more difficult [to ride] but with the 2019 bike at the end of the year I was feeling better because you have 19 races done, you have the test… whereas here we have 5 months we don't race on these machines so we need time to adapt and feel exactly same as 2019 bike but the potential of the bike is really good but not feeling exactly same as last year. We will need to make more laps, more practice because we are only first race of the season.
I think the race will be a good experience, the first race with the 2020 bike, the potential is there and I have a good feeling. It will be fun, it's been a long time since Valencia, the first thing I want to do is enjoy and ensure everything will go fine. A good start, good first laps and then cross fingers to go as fast as possible.”
Gran Premio Red Bull de España Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / 1'36.705s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +0.139s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / +0.157s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / +0.250s
- Jack Mille / Pramac Ducat / +0.748s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / +0.749s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +0.788s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +0.830s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.931s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.969s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / +1.036s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +1.079s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'37.396s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / 1'37.423s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'37.434s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / 1'37.94s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1'37.964s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Test Rider / 1'37.966s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1'38.029s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / 1'38.106s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1'38.256s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1'38.512s
- source : Moto GP