- World Surf League: Surf Ranch Pro Kicks Off in Lemoore
- The 8th stop on WSL Championship, Men's and Women's Surf Ranch Pro kicked off in Lemoore, California.
This event is different rules from ordinary competitions. Each competitor surfs right and left side waves in three times.
They compete with a total of the best score of each side wave. In the case of Men's, eight competitors advance to the Final Round. While Women's, four competitors advance to the Final Round.
In Men's Qualifying, Gabriel Medina (Brazil) earned 9.30, the highest score, following it up with an 8.40 on his final right to launch himself into the number one seed with a combined score of 17.50.
"I think it's a tricky wave, but when you have a lot of sessions practicing you feel comfortable. I'm feeling good," Gabriel Medina said. "The wave is always going to be there, that's an advantage, so I'm stoked."
While Women's Qualifying, Carissa Moore (Hawaii) showcased with the best overall performance of the contest. Her left featured a series of fluid, swooping turns and high-powered backhand hooks, gained 8.70. Followed by, she gained 8.90 on the right for a combined heat total of 17.60.
"When you're in the ocean you don't have this crowd and everyone in your space. It's just you and the elements. Here there's so much more spontaneity. You have that opportunity to perform and it's just about capitalizing on it," Carissa Moore said.
Surf Ranch Pro Men's Qualifying Round Results:
- Gabriel Medina (Brazil) 17.70
- Kanoa Igarashi (Japan) 15.73
- Owen Wright (Australia) 15.56
- Filipe Toledo (Brazil) 15.47
- Kolohe Andino (United States) 15.03
- Julian Wilson (Australia) 15.00
- Jordy Smith (South Africa) 14.87
- Italo Ferreira (Brazil) 14.70
Surf Ranch Pro Woen's Qualifying Round Results:
- Carissa Moore (Hawaii) 17.60
- Lakey Peterson (United States) 16.50
- Caroline Marks (United States) 16.43
- Stephanie Gilmore (Australia) 16.26
- source : World Surf League