MotoGP Mugello: Valentino Rossi takes first pole since 2016
- The Round 6 on MotoGP 2018, Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley Grand Prix ran Qualifying at Mugello in Italy on June 2, 2018.
Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) took his first pole position since 2016 with a new lap record at Mugello.
Behind Rossi by 0.035s, Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team) took the second position, who consecutive front row following Le Mans. Rossi's teammate Maverick Vinales (Movistar Yamaha) moved up from Q1 and took 3rd position with 1m 46.304s.
Andrea Iannone (Suzuki Ecstar), Danilo Petrucci (Pramac Ducati) and Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) will start on the second row.
Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) was 20th, which is his worst-ever MotoGP qualifying position.
Valentino Rossi said;
“It is a long time without a pole position because last year we never had one but especially this year I struggled a lot in qualifying and have never been on the front row. To come back on to the front row with the pole position is something special and in Mugello it is also more.
We worked on the bike at the test in Barcelona and we were able to improve the balance a little bit. We don’t have a lot of new stuff we tried to find something in the past, something old, to try to understand.
The reality is I feel good with the bike and also during the weekend we tried to improve the feeling with the front and the corner speed, the turning, which was good.
We worked a bit in Barcelona, nothing special, but it looks like we’ve improved the balance a bit. One lap is one story and the race will be more difficult. Historically Mugello is a good track for Yamaha but like you said it is a surprise for me and us to be on the front row.”
Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 46.208s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 1m 46.243s
- Maverick Vinales / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 46.304s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 46.347s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 1m 46.445s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1m 46.454s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1m 46.500s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1m 46.813s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 46.830s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 46.909s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1m 46.998s +0.790s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 47.002s
- Tito Raba / Reale Avintia / 1m 46.908s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 47.188s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 47.335s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 47.708s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 47.818s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1m 47.868s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 47.989s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 1m 48.065s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 48.286s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 48.532s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 48.744s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 1m 48.794s
All photos copyright by MotoGP.
- source : MotoGP