- MotoGP Argentina Qualifying: Marc Marquez takes pole position
- The Round 2 on MotoGP 2017, Argentina Grand Prix Qualifying ran at Termas de Rio Hondo circuit on April 8, 2017.
Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) took pole position in little bit wet conditions as rain settled in. This marks his 38th pole in the premier class.
The second place was Karel Abraham (Aspar MotoGP Team), who back to MotoGP from Superbike World Championship this year.
Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) was third position behind Marc Marquez by 0.766s.
Qatar GP winner Maverick Vinales (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) who took fastest practice time in FP2 was 6th. His team-mate Valentino Rossi follows him on 7th place.
Qatar GP runner-up Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) was ahead by 0.781s at one stage in Q1 but did not improve again and fell from first to third after the chequered flag. He will start at 5th row.
Marc Marquezo said;
"Today even being on pole, I hoped for a dry session because we still need to work on the bike and the setup. But since FP4 I’ve felt really good on the bike and the rhythm was good. I just stayed out to understand this new character engine in wet conditions because I didn’t ride it yet. We just changed the setup a bit for the wet and the laptime was really good. But the race looks dry and we still need to improve some things – and make the right choice on the tyres, front and rear. I hope Warm Up is dry so we have time to try more settings, but overall the feeling is not so bad and the performance is ok. I’m losing a lot in Turn 2 – but we can improve the setup, and I can improve my riding style. Apart from that on the rest of the track I feel competitive."
Karel Abraham said;
"This feels amazing, it feels just great. The conditions today have been really bad since this morning but I really enjoyed qualifying. I love this circuit, which helped, and yesterday we made a strong start. I knew it would be difficult for us to prove that we could stay at the top today and tomorrow it will be even harder but our targets have not changed. We know what we want and what we need to achieve and we will work for that. This result puts us at a great advantage for tomorrow's race."
Cal Crutchlow said;
"It wasn’t easy but we managed as a team to do a good job, I think we managed the situation well, in FP3 too. It looked like it was going to rain so we had a few things to try. It was good to try the new engine in the rain and it was quite good. Qualifying wasn’t perfect – I probably could have done with going through Q1 to get more track time! I made a few small mistakes in the lap and I didn’t have the best feeling with the engine braking. But I think we all hope for a dry race tomorrow – we probably don’t have the pace to be top three in the dry at the moment, but probably the top five."
GRAND PRIX OF ARGENTINA MotoGP Qualifying Results:
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda Team / 1'47.512s
- Karel Abraham / Aspar MotoGP Team / 1'48.275s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1'48.278s
- Danilo Petrucci / Octo Pramac Racing / 1'48.908s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda Team / 1'49.008s
- Maverick Viñales / Movistar Yamaha MotoGP / 1'49.218s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha MotoGP / 1'49.272s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1'49.323s
- Loris Baz / Reale Avintia Racing / 1'49.630s
- Alvaro Bautista / Aspar MotoGP Team / 1'49.724s
- Jonas Folger / Monster Yamaha Tech 3 / 1'49.825s
- Andrea Iannone / Team Suzuki Ecstar / 1'50.725s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1'49.488s
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech 3 / 1'49.916s
- Scott Redding / Octo Pramac Racing / 1'50.048s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 1'50.310s
- Jack Miller / Estrella Galicia / 1'50.319s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory Racing / 1'50.673s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory Racing / 1'50.676s
- Tito Rabat / Estrella Galicia / 1'50.910s
- Hector Barbera / Reale Avintia Racing / 1'51.058s
- Sam Lowes / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1'51.199s
- Alex Rins / Team Suzuki Ecstar / 1'52.340s
All photos copyright by MotoGP.
- source : MotoGP