MotoGP San Marino: Maverick Vinales Takes Pole Position with Breaking Pole Lap Record
- The Round 7 of MotoGP 2020, MotoGP San Marino took place at the Marco Simoncelli circuit in Italy on September 12th.
This time, MotoGP admitted the audience to join in the event. The Gran Premio Lenovo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini signals the start of a vital period in 2020.
In a qualifying session, Maverick Vinales (Monster Yamaha) demolished the Misano lap record to claim pole position. It is his 11th pole of his career.
Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) was 2nd position by 0.312s behind Maverick Vinales. The championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) was 3rd.
Veteran rider Valentino Rossi (Monster Yamaha), who topped the third practice session in the morning, closed out a fine day by claiming fourth spot and a place in the second row.
This result marks the first time Yamaha ridders have finished 1-2-3-4 in qualifying in the MotoGP™ era.
“We had a good strategy, saving our tyres for Q2,” said Maverick Vinales. “I feel amazing. It felt fantastic on the bike, we will try and go at the maximum tomorrow.”
“I imagined I was going to feel better but the confidence is not so great," said Fabio Quartararo who holds a three-point lead over Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) in the championship standings. “Most important is we are on the front row. I am hoping for a good race.”
Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) withdrew from this event after doctors declared him unfit 'due to secondary side effects' following arm surgery.
Gran Premio Lenovo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Grand Prix Qualifying Results
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / 1'31.411s
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / +0.312s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +0.380s
- Valentino Rossi / Monster Yamaha / +0.466s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / +0.641s
- Francesco Bagnaia / Pramac Ducati / +0.643s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.679s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +0.691s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +0.773s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / +0.807s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +0.855s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +0.912s
- Aleix Espargaro / Aprilia Gresini / 1'32.295s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1'32.382s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / 1'32.418s
- Brad Binder / Red Bull KTM / 1'32.534s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1'32.791s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / 1'32.838s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / 1'32.915s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Gresini / 1'33.166s
- Alex Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1'33.333s
- source : MotoGP