MotoGP Teruel: Franco Morbidelli Takes Second MotoGP Victory in Aragon
- Teruel Grand Prix saw Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) took his second MotoGP victory at MotorLand Aragón, following San Marino GP.
Two Suzuki riders, Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) and Joan Mir (Suzuki Ecstar) were 2nd and 3rd back to back podiums following Aragon GP, respectively. This result marks Joan Mir extended his Championship lead.
Pole sitter Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda) got a good start, but his crashed out at the first corner. Also, Jack Miller (Pramac Ducati) and Brad Binder (KTM) contacted and crashed out on the opening lap.
After crashes, Franco Morbidelli led from the get-go and never look back. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM) moved up to 4th after Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda) crashed out at Turn 2.
Johann Zarco (Reale Avintia) followed Franco Morbidelli and Alex Rins until middle of the race, finally he finished 5th ahead of Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Tech3).
Maverick Vinales (Monster Yamaha) and Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha) struggled to seventh and eighth respectively.
Franco Morbidelli said, “I am very happy with this win; it feels a little bit different to when I won in Misano. It comes from the hard work that the crew has put in; they have done an unbelievable job and worked so well together to get this win. The bike was perfect during the race, I was feeling great and I just had to focus on getting the bike to the finish line in the shortest, fastest, time possible. This victory is for them, for my crew. Without their work it would not have been possible. So thank you. Now we are just 25 points from being at the top of the championship standings, which means that it is time to go super aggressive into the final three races of this year.”
Gran Premio Liqui Moly de Teruel Race Results
- Franco Morbidelli / Petronas Yamaha / 41m 47.652s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / +2.205s
- Joan Mir / Suzuki Ecstar / +5.376s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM / +10.299s
- Johann Zarco / Reale Avintia / +12.915s
- Miguel Oliveira / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +12.953s
- Maverick Vinales / Monster Yamaha / +14.262s
- Fabio Quartararo / Petronas Yamaha / +14.720s
- Iker Lecuona / Red Bull KTM Tech3 / +17.177s
- Danilo Petrucci / Ducati Team / +19.519s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / +19.708s
- Stefan Bradl / Repsol Honda / +20.591s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / +22.222s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / +26.496s
- Bradley Smith / Aprilia Gresini / +31.816s
- source : MotoGP