MotoGP Qatar: Monster Yamaha Tech3's Zarco snatches pole with qualifying record
- The Round 1 on MotoGP 2018, Qatar Grand Prix Qualifying ran at Losail International Circuit on March 18, 2018.
Monster Yamaha Tech3 rider Johann Zarco took pole position with a new lap record of 1'53.680s, which beat the 2008 Lap Record held by Jorge Lorenzo.
“I’m so happy," Johann Zarco said. "In qualifying I was feeling good, when I used the first tyre it gave me some reference, which then gave me some confidence after the crash. On the second tyre I started well but had some guys in front, so I only had one lap. I tried to push and you can I see that I set the new lap record! I’m so happy for this because it was a great start to the season, a good place to have a podium or victory. Our pace at the moment isn’t the best to challenge for the win, but at least from pole I can have a chance.”
2nd place was reigning World Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) behind Johann Zarco by 0.202s. Marc Marquez said, “The most dangerous one is Dovi. The most dangerous one is Dovi, he’s very fast and consistent here. Danilo also has good pace, so it will be a tough race. Everybody is very equal…”
3rd place was Danilo Petrucci (Danilo Petrucci) with 53.887s. 2017 Championship runner-up Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) will start at second row.
“I have a good feeling and in FP4 we confirmed the speed but it’s difficult to understand our competitors’ pace over 22 laps,” Andrea Dovizioso said, “In qualifying I didn’t make a good lap time because a lot of riders slowed down, I didn’t prepare for the last lap and didn’t finish it. Anyway, the second row is OK. We have a good feeling for the race but we don’t know how it will be tomorrow with the conditions because today it was very windy and it’s not so easy to ride the bike like this…”
Defending Champion of this event, Maverick Vinales (Movistar Yamaha) was 12th and would start at third row.
Rookie and LCR Honda's Takaaki Nakagami could do no better than 23rd after a crash in FP4 just before qualifying.
Grand Prix of Qatar Qualifying Results
- Johann Zarco / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 53.680s
- Marc Marquez / Repsol Honda / 1m 53.882s
- Danilo Petrucci / Pramac Ducati / 1m 53.887s
- Cal Crutchlow / LCR Honda / 1m 54.072s
- Andrea Dovizioso / Ducati Team / 1m 54.074s
- Alex Rins / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 54.339s
- Dani Pedrosa / Repsol Honda / 1m 54.368s
- Valentino Rossi / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 54.389s
- Jorge Lorenzo / Ducati Team / 1m 54.431s
- Jack Miller / Pramac Ducati / 1m 54.449s
- Andrea Iannone / Suzuki Ecstar / 1m 54.619s
- Maverick Viñales / Movistar Yamaha / 1m 54.707s
- Aleix Espargaro / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 55.140s
- Franco Morbidelli / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 55.169s
- Hafizh Syahrin / Monster Yamaha Tech3 / 1m 55.258s
- Tito Rabat / Reale Avintia / 1m 55.273s
- Scott Redding / Factory Aprilia Gresini / 1m 55.380s
- Thomas Luthi / EG 0,0 Marc VDS / 1m 55.381s
- Karel Abraham / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 55.392s
- Bradley Smith / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 55.553s
- Alvaro Bautista / Angel Nieto Team / 1m 55.638s
- Pol Espargaro / Red Bull KTM Factory / 1m 55.706s
- Takaaki Nakagami / LCR Honda / 1m 56.401s
- Xavier Simeon / Reale Avintia / 1m 56.545s
- source : MotoGP