Demi Lovato Hospitalized for a Drug Overdose
- American singer-songwriter Demi Lovato is being treated in a Los Angeles hospital after a suspected drug overdose.
The Los Angeles Police Department responded on Tuesday to a medical emergency in the Hollywood Hills, where the Sorry Not Sorry singer lives.
The 25-year-old was reportedly found unconscious and treated at the scene with naloxone, an anti-opioid medicine.
It is unclear what drugs Lovato overdosed on. Early reports said it was heroin but this was later contradicted.
Friends who found Lovato reportedly used Narcan - a brand name for naloxone - on her at the scene to help her breathe. Naloxone is an antidote to opioids including painkillers.
She is awake and breathing at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, a family spokesman has said.
"Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support. Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy."
- Demi Lovato has struggled with substance abuse for years, and was feared to have relapsed in recent weeks.
In a YouTube documentary, Simply Complicated, released last October, she revealed her drug use began when she first tried cocaine at the age of 17.
She was due to complete the North American leg of her Tell Me You Love Me world tour with a concert in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Thursday, but reports say that date has now been cancelled.
The US is in the grip of an opioid crisis. According to health officials, 115 Americans die from an opioid overdose every day and more than 250,000 Americans have died of them over the past decade.
- source : BBC